Wish to Build a Website Without Tables?
The orientation of W3C requirements is obvious: all the attributes of size, position, colors, alignment (width, height, align, font, color)…should not appear on the html page, but this can manage the display, i.e. the CSS. We will, therefore, attempt to convince you to create our own site, fully CSS (no tables for display). This site shall be respectful of the W3C standard, but additionally the accessibility to the blind, not deaf, people with disabilities (sensory, motor …).
At the moment, the immense majority of websites are built utilizing tables. The tables make it attainable to structure the page in several parts, and each party could include a menu, a header, content…
However, this almost-universal method has many disadvantages:
- The interweaving of multiple tables is often essential, even for easy design.
- The variety of tags (table, tr, td, colspan, rowspan …) and rapidly becomes significantly increases the code readability.
- This Code heavy usually unnecessarily increases the burden of the page and loading.
In addition to accessibility issues (e.g. disability), it is suggested to use each tag so semantically correct. A table was originally designed to display tabular data … (a forum, calendar, results for example) and not to make the presentation of his page.
The full-CSS or CSS Positioning is the strict implementation of the recommendations of present Web Designing requirements. XHTML (and strict HTML) is designed to make a strict separation between content and structure. It is important to know the fundamentals of XHTML and CSS before you need to rush into a project design without tables.
Benefits of CSS positioning
- Better Accessibility: browsers, search engines, machinery, people with disabilities
- Durability: Standards compliance assures us of having a site appropriate with all future browsers
- Last days: the separation structure/content provides good readability of the code, but in addition an update facilitated
- Weight of the page: each HTML page is reduced by 1 / 3 to 2 / 3
The current limits of CSS positioning
Currently, CSS (or browsers), do not all artistic follies. There are still a few circumstances (increasingly rare), for which the CSS methods aren’t yet sufficiently well applied by browsers to be effective or easily conceivable. Among these circumstances:
- make “columns” of the same height
- positioning and/or center vertical elements
- make a layout for 100% of height with fixed parts (e.g. header)
Currently, for these circumstances, it’s still preferable to use a well designed.
The general philosophy is this: we’ll try to think differently: no tables or cells but in terms of “elements” (title, menu, header, footer, etc.).
And if Affinities…
The CSS positioning method may seem off-putting to the top for webmasters used to not think in terms of tables … but the advantages of CSS rapidly become simple. The proof is that it’s completely attainable to modify the whole design of the page, just by amending an attribute within the … CSS Imagine saving time for sites a few hundred pages!
The most striking example is the famous site Zengarden CSS, a true chameleon of the Web as it’s attainable to take hundreds of different designs (CSS style) while retaining the same structure (HTML). Finally, and this is necessary to emphasize, positioning CSS can follow the evolution of Web standards proposed by the W3C.
Customize the Website Design to integrate all of your requirements and make Website Customization process simple.
This post was written by Versitek